Amplicomms PowerTel 196 Extra-Loud Corded Amplified Telephone (Pack of 2)
If you are hard of hearing, it can be especially tricky to hear telephone conversations clearly. The Amplicomms PowerTel 196 Extra-Loud Corded Amplified Telephone (Pack of 2) provides an adjustable amplified handset reaching a booming 60dB, which remains crisp and clear at all levels. This purchase features two telephones so you can place them in different areas of your home so you never miss a call.
This purchase includes:
- 2 x PowerTel 196 Extra-Loud Corded Telephones
Each telephone is supplied with:
- 1 x Base Unit
- 1 x Receiver
- 1 x Coiled Receiver Cord
- 1 x AC Power Adaptor
- 1 x Telephone Line Cord
- Handset volume: Up to 60dB (32x a standard phone)
- Ringer volume: Up to 90dB
- Visual ring indicator: Extra-bright LED
- Hearing aid compatible: Yes
- Speed-dial: Two direct memory keys
- Phone book: 200 number storage
- Caller ID: Yes
- Answering machine: No
Key Features and Benefits
- Extra-loud for loud and clear calls
- One of the loudest phones on the market with a 60dB handset (32x a regular phone)
- Extra-loud ringer of 90dB and extra-bright ring indicator ensure calls are heard
- Corded handset ideal for fixing to one place for familiarity in the home
- Compatible with hearing aids to ensure reliable and flexible use
- Two dedicated speed-dial keys (M1 and M2) to keep important numbers on hand
- Eight handset volume levels can be easily adjusted with + and - keys
- Audio boost key provides extra volume for users with severe hearing loss
- Four-line extra-large point matrix display screen with blue backlight for easier viewing
- Large keys with large easy-to-see numbers for easy dialling
- Built-in equaliser with three settings for greater audio control
- Visual alert for incoming calls helps reduce risks of calls being missed
- Caller ID presentation (CLIP) with a capacity to store the last 30 callers
- Telephone book for storing up to 200 numbers for quicker and easier calling
- Redial function for the ten most recent numbers
Sizing Information for Each Amplicomms PowerTel 196 Unit
When you're purchasing an amplified telephone, it's important to know exactly how large the handset, buttons and screen are. Please view the information below to find out:
- Button Size (Width x Length): 2.7cm x 1.9cm
- Screen Size (Width x Length): 9.3cm x 3.8cm
- Base Unit Size (Width x Length): 21.6cm x 19.3cm
- Base Unit Height at Maximum Point: 5.2cm
Why Do I Need a Twin Pack of PowerTel Corded Telephones?
Many elderly individuals prefer to use the classic corded phone instead of the modern cordless as it is more familiar and cannot be misplaced. However, as the corded phone is immobile, it can be tricky to reach the phone quickly if you are not nearby when it rings. This bundle of two provides a great solution, allowing you to place a corded phone in different locations around the house, such as one upstairs and one downstairs, for speedy access.
How Loud Is This Amplified Telephone?
In terms of volume, the PowerTel 196 matches our loudest amplified telephones with an extra-loud 60dB of receiver volume, which is roughly 32 times louder than a standard handset. The ringer is also extraordinarily loud, as it is adjustable up to 90db to ensure that even those with severe hearing impairment should be able to detect a call when it comes in.
How Clear is the Sound?
The PowerTel 196 separates itself from similar phones with its use of the latest technology to provide the clearest sound possible – even at high levels of amplification. Built with a high-quality acoustic chamber, sound quality is maintained at all volume levels, and echo cancellation helps to eliminate acoustic feedback to ensure every word is heard as clearly as possible.
Does Handsfree Mode Provide the Same Sound Quality?
As many of us will use handsfree mode as often as picking up the receiver, it is designed to be loud and clear with Duplex simultaneous two-way audio technology. This will provide a loud and clear sound during handsfree calls, and will limit any echo or distortion on higher volumes.
Is the Display Easy to Read?
The PowerTel includes a large backlit display that will show the caller's name and number while on a call, and the date and time when in standby mode. This bright screen can be adjusted between five contrast modes, providing an easy viewing experience for those with deteriorating eyesight.
Does the PowerTel Amplified Telephone Include an Answering Machine?
No, unfortunately this amplified phone does not include an answering machine. If you're looking for a similarly loud phone that includes a built-in answering machine, we recommend the Geemarc CL595 Big Button Amplified Telephone with Answering Machine.
Does This Phone Need to Be Plugged Into the Mains Power?
Yes, the base of this amplified telephone needs to be plugged into the mains power. To connect the base unit:
- Plug the included coiled receiver cord into the handset, and plug the other end into the socket on the left side of the phone
- Plug the small end of the power cord into the into the power jack on the PowerTel base unit, and plug the large three-prong UK plug into your desired wall outlet
- Plug the telephone cord into the socket at the rear of the base unit, and plug the other end into your desired outlet or telephone port of your internet box
Do I Need Multiple Phone Sockets?
Each phone will require a phone socket to plug in to as they are both individual base units. If you'd rather a single base unit, check out our Cordless Telephones category.
Is the Phone Easy to Use?
As well as providing excellent audio volume and clarity, the PowerTel 196 provides improved usability. Two speed-dial buttons are included under the large high-contrast display, and the handsfree, audio boost and volume control options can all be selected with the touch of a large button on the right-hand side of the unit.
Does the Phone Light Up When Ringing?
Particularly useful for the hard of hearing, this phone features an extra-bright red LED call indicator light on the top right of the unit which will flash brightly when a call is incoming. This means that users, particularly individuals with reduced hearing, will be less likely to miss a call as the bright light will catch their attention when in eyeshot.
Does the PowerTel Include a Digital Phonebook?
Yes, the PowerTel Amplified Telephone features a phonebook that is able to store up to 200 numbers at a time, allowing all important numbers to be kept at the ready. The phone also stores a log of the previous 30 missed, incoming or answered calls with the date and time, providing a useful reference for keeping track of callers.
Can I Wall Mount This Phone?
Yes, this phone can be wall-mounted. In order to mount the base unit to a wall, you will need two dowels and two wood screws (preferably 3mm in diameter with a length of 30mm). Please use caution and be aware of all electrical wires and water pipes before drilling.
Is the Phone Compatible with Hearing Aids?
Yes, this phone will work seamlessly with the vast majority of available hearing aids.
User Instruction Manual
To learn more about how to set up and use the features of this telephone, view the user manual linked below:
|User Manual |
- Maximum Earpiece Volume: 60dB
- Menu Languages: GB, DE, FR, NL, ES, IT, TR
- FSK protocol
- Hearing aid compatible (ETS 300381)
- Power supply: 6V
- Battery not required
Other Buying Options Available
This telephone is also available as a single product, or in the following money-saving bundles: